Here’s something you might want to do when you’re in Cagayan de Oro – visit the Cogon Night Market! From buying vegetables to used clothing (“ukay-ukay”), electronics, cellphone cases etc to checking out an entire street full of food cart vendors, the Cogon Night Market in CDO is a bustling destination you might want to check out.
In fact, the local government of Cagayan de Oro has been exerting efforts to turn the Cogon Night Market into a tourist destination of sorts.
My friends and I visited the food market along Guillermo Street and as expected, there was a throng of people as early as 6 PM.
Check out this brief video I made during our visit:
Some fast facts about the Cagayan de Oro Night Market:
- Vendors aren’t allowed to sell alcoholic drinks/liquor
- No vehicles are allowed to pass through Guillermo Street
- “Accredited” vendors will most probably wear their uniform
- Vendors will start congregating along Guillermo Street as early as 6 PM and will be there until around 10 PM
Some tips when you’re heading to the CDO Cogon Night Market:
- Parking near the night market may be a challenge so either you arrive early so you can still find available street parking or just commute
- I didn’t spot any portalets so keep that in mind
- Always be mindful of your trash/garbage. I spotted some trash cans but you may also want to dispose of your garbage with the help of the food cart vendor
- Bring alcohol or hand sanitizer. Wear comfortable shoes and always, always be mindful of your personal belongings
- Bring your appetite!
Of course, have fun and try to bring your family and friends along. Enjoy!
Mindanaoan is a multi-awarded blogger, content creator, seasoned social media strategist and publicist with undeniably successful track record. 2012 International Visitor Leadership Program (for global leaders) alumnus and O visa grantee (for people with extraordinary skills and who have risen to the top of their field). Avid traveler and a proud relief operations volunteer. Regular resource person for social media, blogging and content creation. Available for work and travel – [email protected]